March 29, 2020
We are sharing this update with our residents, clients, families, members, staff and our community about the steps currently being taken at KinVillage in light of the COVID-19 threat.
The measures we are taking continue to strongly focus on prevention and follow the guidance we regularly receive, primarily from the Provincial Health Officer and Fraser Health. The most recent restrictions reflect the increased emphasis on social distancing and maintaining the recommended 2 meters between individuals.
Highlights as of today:
- Entrance to West Court (our Care Home) and South Court (Assisted Living Residence) continues to be restricted. As these are homes to our most at-risk residents, no visitors are allowed. An exception may be made for one essential adult visitor who passes screening, to visit a resident who is actively dying.
- Visitors to Vidal and North Courts (home to independent living and seniors’ supportive housing residents) are allowed though reminded to not visit if they are experiencing respiratory symptoms and/or have travelled recently.
Other preventative measures to keep everyone safe
The Community Centre and all of its programs remains closed.
The Day Program for Older Adults remains closed.
The twice daily enhanced cleaning of frequent/high touch surfaces (e.g. door handles, railings, elevator buttons etc.) initiated in all four residential buildings March 9th continues to be a high priority. Reminders located in all of our residential buildings and numerous hand sanitizing stations encourage everyone to practicing meticulous hand hygiene and coughing etiquette, two of the most important ways we can all contribute to “stopping the spread”.
In Assisted Living:
Effective March 26th, noon and evening meals are now being served to residents in their suites. This supports social distancing as the South Court dining room unfortunately does not provide space sufficient to enable adequate social distancing.
Residents are strongly advised to not leave the building, limiting outings to those that are essential (e.g. medical appointments). Residents who must leave South Court are actively screened upon return. (This is also in place in the Care Home.)
Admissions of new residents from the community and moves to long-term care homes have been temporarily suspended, except in circumstances of intolerable risk.
The resident lounges in both Vidal and North Courts were closed effective March 26th.
Volunteers are not working at KinVillage until further notice.
Entry to each of South and West Courts is now via a single entrance. Anyone entering either building is subject to an active screening process by staff before being allowed in. Staff are also subject to active screening when they leave work and are constantly self-monitoring themselves for symptoms.
Residents of the Care Home and Assisted Living Residence are regularly monitored for any symptoms indicating possible infection. Testing is done promptly and, per our standard infection prevention and control practices, residents who have symptoms remain in their suites until results indicate they do not have an infection.
Some positive news
- There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at KinVillage.
- Wellness programs continue for residents. These are being adapted to support social distancing (with smaller groups in large enough spaces) and to make effective use of technology. Our staff continue to encourage all Care Home and Assisted Living residents to safely participate in programs that support their physical, mental, and psychological health.
- Care Home and Assisted Living staff are increasingly focused on encouraging and enabling connections between residents and their loved ones who are unable to visit. Phoning, skyping, and facetiming are available; we expect “WhatsApp” will be available in the Care Home early next week. Family members who are interested in connecting with residents via Skype, Facetime and/or WhatsApp are asked to please contact Bettina Salini, KinVillage’s Director of Wellness, at email@example.com or 604-943-0155 ext 250. Any and all ideas of how we can help support these vital connections between residents and their families are most welcome.
- Care Home residents continue to appreciate the more relaxed dining environment now that additional space is available in the Day Program and Family rooms.
- Our dedicated staff are healthy and here in numbers! Our daily staff complements are as per normal. We are very pleased to have increased our recreation staffing beyond the usual levels in order to ensure wellness programs are available to all residents and to support social connections between residents and families.
Information Sources & Communication
Care Home – Resident Families: If you have not already added your e-mail address to our contact file, please call 604- 943-0155 ext. 221. In the event of a COVID-19 outbreak, KinVillage will provide a daily information release via e-mail and via internal postings.
Care Home – Resident Information – For regular inquiries about resident care, please continue to contact nursing staff. If there is a change in a resident’s health status, the Primary Contact will be notified by the nurse, as per our normal procedure.
Care Home – Issues or Concerns
Director of Care – Nadine Brown (604-943-0155 ext 226) firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Housing – Carol Howard (604-943-4805 ext 401) email@example.com
Assisted Living Nurse (604-943-4805 ext 412)
Day Program for Older Adults
LPN (604-943-0155 ext 237)
Director of Health Services – Cynthia Langenberg, 604-943-0155 ext 32, firstname.lastname@example.org
CEO – Donna Ellis, 604-306-2775, email@example.com
Sources of Additional Information:
We recommend the following links for current, accurate updates on the extent of the COVID-19 situation in our province.
www.News.gov.bc.ca – Ministry Updates
www.healthlink.bc.ca – HealthLink BC