March 29, 2020
We would like to share an update with our residents, clients, families, members, staff and our community, about the steps currently being taken at KinVillage in light of the COVID-19 threat.
The measures we are taking focus on prevention and follow the guidance we regularly receive from the Provincial Health Officer, Fraser Health, BC Housing and the City of Delta. We remain committed to the safety and wellness of the public, the vulnerable people in our care, and our staff and volunteers.
Highlights as of today:
- As a licensed care provider and a registered
assisted living provider, we have been receiving direction daily regarding our
Care Home (West Court) and Assisted Living Residence (South Court), which are
home to our most at risk residents.
- No visitors are allowed. An exception may be made for one essential adult visitor who passes screening, to visit a resident who is actively dying.
- Staff encourage and are able to assist family members who need assistance connecting with residents by telephone. (We are exploring the possibility of assisting with visual connections, for example Skype, Facetime.)
- Visitors to Vidal and North Courts (home to independent living and seniors’ supportive housing residents) are allowed though reminded to not visit if they are experiencing respiratory symptoms and/or have travelled recently.
- Recreational activities in the Care Home, Assisted Living Residence and Seniors’ Supportive Housing program continue and have been modified to support “social distancing”. The focus is now on offering more and shorter programs for small to medium sized groups and ensuring all residents continue to have opportunities to participate. Group bus outings into the community have been cancelled as have all outside entertainers and presenters. Recreation staffing has increased and staff are exploring the use of technology to help connect residents with family members.
- The Day Program for Older Adults closed effective today.
- We are using the day program room and the activity room in West Court to support “social distancing” at meals times. This has created a more relaxed, quieter dining experience for Care Home residents.
- The Community Centre is closed and all of its programs cancelled.
- No volunteers are working at KinVillage until further notice.
- Staff from the Day Program and the Community Centre will continue as much as possible to connect by phone with clients, members and volunteers.
- Staff in West and South Courts have been self-screening to prevent employees from coming to work if there may be a risk of a respiratory infection. Effective March 22, every staff member entering these two buildings will go through an active screening process as mandated by Fraser Health.
- The few administrative staff who are able to work from home are doing so.
- Staff backup resources and availability are being evaluated on a regular basis. All is well.
Enhanced Cleaning and Hygiene
- Twice daily enhanced cleaning of frequent/high touch surfaces (e.g. door handles, railings, elevator buttons etc.) was initiated as of March 9 in all four residential buildings.
- Posters and other reminders are strategically located in all of our residential buildings, along with hand sanitizing stations, encouraging everyone to “help stop the spread” by practicing meticulous hand hygiene and coughing etiquette.
- The major exterior building repair project currently underway at Vidal Court is continuing but will take longer than anticipated as restrictions have been put in place to help prevent any health and safety concerns for residents and for contractors working on the project.
We are adequately supplied at present with items needed to protect staff and residents. We have assurances from the Medical Health Office of BC that we will have access to additional supplies through government sources, if required.
Information Sources & Communication
Care Home – Resident Families: If you have not already added your e-mail address to our contact file, please call 604- 943-0155 ext. 221. In the event of a COVID-19 outbreak, KinVillage will provide a daily information release via e-mail and via internal postings.
Care Home – Resident Information – For regular inquiries about resident care, please continue to contact nursing staff. If there is a change in a resident’s health status, the Primary Contact will be notified by the nurse, as per our normal procedure.
Care Home – Issues or Concerns
Director of Care – Nadine Brown (604-943-0155 ext 226) firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Housing – Carol Howard (604-943-4805 ext 401) email@example.com
Assisted Living Nurse (604-943-4805 ext 412)
Day Program for Older Adults
LPN (604-943-0155 ext 237)
Director of Health Services – Cynthia Langenberg, 604-943-0155 ext 32, firstname.lastname@example.org
CEO – Donna Ellis, 604-306-2775, email@example.com
Sources of Additional Information:
We recommend the following links for current, accurate updates on the extent of the COVID-19 situation in our province.
www.News.gov.bc.ca – Ministry Updates
www.healthlink.bc.ca – HealthLink BC