KinVillage recognizes the importance for residents to connect with loved ones while balancing the aim of protecting vulnerable older adults living in care from COVID-19 and lessening the impacts associated with being apart from family and friends. Opportunities for visits to occur that are safe and in compliance with BC Center for Disease Control Visitor Guidelines and Fraser Health directions are provided in a variety of ways.
Visits are currently restricted to:
- Essential visit – is linked with an essential need that could not be met in the absence of the essential visit. e.g. visits for compassionate care for a resident who is experiencing a critical illness or who is dying, or visits that are paramount to the resident’s physical care and mental well-being. If you are considering an essential visit that meets provincial guidelines please contact Nadine Brown DOC: 604-943-0155 ext 226 or firstname.lastname@example.org Monday to Friday. After hours contact the Nurse in Charge: 604-943-0155 ext 242
- Social visit –is an opportunity to spend time with loved ones and to support the emotional well-being of the resident. Social visits can occur as an indoor or an outdoor visit and must be booked in advance. To schedule a visit, visitors may contact email@example.com or 604-943-0155 ext 290, Monday to Sunday, 11am to 6pm. As of April 1, 2021 bookings for indoor visits can be made for a maximum of two adult visitors (+ 1 child) at one time. Indoor visits may occur in the resident’s room or the designated visitor room.
Outdoor outings/visits may occur with family and friends. Outings must be in compliance with current Public Health orders/guidance on outdoor gatherings for the public (gov.bc.ca) including wearing a mask, performing frequent hand hygiene, maintaining physical distance and avoiding large group gatherings.
- Virtual visit (Skype, FaceTime, WhatsApp) – to arrange a visit, contact Bettina Salini, Director of Wellness at 604 943-0155 ext. 250 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday to Friday.
Essential and Social Visits:
- Visitors are asked to perform a self-screen for any signs of illness before coming to KinVillage and once at KinVillage will be screened by a staff member. Please arrive 15 minutes early to allow time for you to access the visiting area where staff will meet you and complete the screening process.
- Visitors will be provided with a medical procedure mask and are required to wear the mask at all times while visiting, will be asked to perform hand hygiene before and after visiting and to practice cough etiquette.
- Physical contact – including hugging and holding hands – between visitors and resident may occur.
- Visitors are asked to comply with safety measures, maintain safe physical distance with other residents and staff and to refrain from circulating/walking around the building including the common areas where residents may be gathering in small groups, and leaving immediately after the visit.
- KinVillage will regularly assess the visitor program to ensure residents have an opportunity for regular visits with family and friends and to ensure everyone’s safety.
Questions and Concerns – Visitor Review and Appeal Process:
- Your request for a social or essential visit will be carefully reviewed following provincial guidelines.
- If your visit request is denied you will be given written reasons within 24 hours and notified of the option and procedure to request a review of the decision. You may request a review by contacting the site administrator – Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm, Donna Ellis, CEO email@example.com or 604-943-0155 ext 223. After hours please contact the Nurse in Charge 604-943-0155 ext 242 who will assist in contacting the administrator on call.
- If after review by the site administrator, your request is still denied, you may request a formal review through Fraser Health’s Patient Care Quality Office (PCQO) at 1-877-880-8823 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and answers to your questions on visits please see:
- Ministry of Health- BCCDC Visitor Guidance: BCCDC Visitor Guidelines
- Ministry of Health – BCCDC Visitor Policy
- Fraser Health: Fraser Health
- Alzheimer Society of BC: Alzheimer Society of BC
We recommend visitors complete the Family Caregivers of BC and SafeCare BC COVID-19: Social Visitation Essentials Course. It is a self-paced, on-line course intended for those who are visiting in person. To learn more on how to be well prepared for visits during COVID-19 pandemic please visit: Social Visitation Essentials Course
- Families may drop off non-perishable food (i.e. with a long shelf life that does not require refrigeration) and essential NEW personal care items (e.g. toiletries such as soap, lotion, toothpaste) for residents
- If you are experiencing a cough, fever, shortness of breath, other respiratory symptoms, GI symptoms or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, please do not drop off items until fully recovered.
- Recreational activities continue and have been modified to support physical distancing. The focus is now on offering more and shorter programs for small to medium sized groups and ensuring all residents continue to have opportunities to participate. Group bus outings into the community have been cancelled as have all outside entertainers and presenters.
- Effective April 1, 2021 the 14 day isolation requirement has been removed for new residents, for residents returning from acute care and residents going on outings.
- If you are the primary contact for a resident and have not already provided us with your e-mail address, please call 604- 943-0155 ext. 221 to be added to our contact distribution list. In the event of a COVID-19 outbreak at our Care Home, KinVillage will provide a regular information release via e-mail.
- For resident information including regular inquiries about resident care, please continue to contact nursing staff. If there is a change in a resident’s health status, the primary contact will be notified by the nurse, as per our normal procedure.
- For general issues or concerns, please continue to contact Nadine Brown, Director of Care at 604-943-0155 ext 226 or email@example.com.