July 20, 2021
July 19th marked an important and exciting change for residents, staff and visitors of Long-term Care Homes and Assisted Living Residences. Consistent with the announcement by the Ministry of Health to ease restrictions:
Social Visits – West Court Care Home and South Court Assisted Living
- Visitors are no longer required to schedule or book visits in advance.
- The limit on the number of visitors each resident can have has been removed.
- Staff will continue to screen visitors prior to entry. Visitors with signs/symptoms of illness will be asked to visit another time.
- Visits will continue to occur in the resident’s room/suite or outdoors.
- Visitors will need to show proof of immunization status. Proof may be in the form of:
- Immunization card showing 1st and 2nd dose vaccines.
- Health Gateway – Found at gov.bc.ca.
- Visitors are required to wear a medical mask (provided by KinVillage) while moving through the buildings and in common areas:
- Visitors who are fully immunized (i.e. two doses with the second dose received a minimum of two-weeks prior) may remove their mask once in direct contact with the resident they are visiting, in the resident’s room or outdoors.
- Visitors who are not fully immunized or who are unable to provide proof of full immunization are required to wear a medical mask throughout their visits.
- Social visits will not be allowed if there is an active COVID-19 outbreak.
- KinVillage is required to maintain a list of visitors for contract tracing purposes as well as visitors’ immunization status to share with Public Health as required.
Staff – Masks and Protective Eye Wear:
Staff who are fully immunized will no longer be required to wear masks and eye protection unless it is clinically indicated. Staff who are fully immunized may still chose to wear a mask. Staff who are not fully immunized must continue to wear a mask and eye protection.
Volunteers who are able to provide proof of being fully immunized are allowed to return to volunteering. We are excited that volunteers will begin returning sometime in August, once we have a plan in place.
Social and Recreational Events and Gatherings:
Indoor gatherings may include residents and staff. Visitors will be allowed to join outdoor events/gatherings when these are aligned with current provincial health officer (PHO) guidance and KinVillage safety plans, including appropriate infection prevention and control practices to ensure safety of residents, staff and visitors.
North and Vidal Courts:
Lounges have re-opened in each building. Wearing of masks is recommended as are maintaining physical distance, performing frequent hand hygiene and not visiting a lounge when unwell.
Single Site Order (SSO):
For the safety of residents and staff, the Provincial Health Officer’s SSO was implemented over a year ago to limit the movement of staff between sites, minimizing the risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. While the majority of residents and staff have been immunized, the SSO currently remains in effect.
Day Program for Older Adults:
The Ministry of Health has given the okay to re-open day programs for older adults (DPOA) starting in September. The staff are preparing safety plans for the upcoming re-opening and are looking forward to welcoming clients back after a very long absence!
Stay safe, be kind and thank you for your continued support.