Seniors’ Supportive Housing is a housing-for-health program that meets the needs of adults over age 55 with low to moderate incomes (as defined by BC Housing) and people with disabilities who require some assistance to live independently. Applicants for Seniors’ Supportive Housing must be permanent residents of BC with household assets less than $100,000. For more information, visit BC Housing’s subsidized supportive housing FAQs.
Residents in this program receive hospitality services such as some meals, housekeeping and laundry services. With access to a 24-hour emergency response system as well as social and recreational activities, Seniors’ Supportive Housing at KinVillage provides a safe and vibrant environment for people to live life to its fullest.
Seniors’ Supportive Housing Details
Living in the supportive apartments at KinVillage provides seniors with a comfortable, safe residence within a caring community. This housing program includes the following support:
- 1 main evening meal served daily in the dining room
- Approximately ½ hour per week to clean suites and change bed linens
- Flat linens and towels washed once per week
- Access to some social and recreational activities within the building: activities currently include fitness, bingo, happy hour, pot luck meals and games, as well as occasional bus outings. Meal times provide an opportunity to socialize with neighbours
- Additional opportunities are available to support wellness with a free membership to the community centre next door. Residents enjoy easy access to adult-focused programming for fitness, dances, billiards, games, arts and crafts, music, education, outings and events, as well as the Unique Boutique (gently used clothing store) and the Urban Village Cafe.
- Lifeline 24-hour emergency pendant that functions in suite
There are 15 suites available for Seniors’ Supportive Housing in Vidal Court between 578 square feet – 813 square feet (to accommodate couples and/or people with disabilities). Each includes a full kitchen with a fridge and stove. Bathrooms are fully accessible, with walk in showers and grab bars. Smoking is not allowed in the building. (Please be aware that some existing tenants, under a “grandfathered” provision, are allowed to smoke in their suites.) There are designated outdoor smoking areas. Pets are not permitted in the building, unless they are visiting as part of a KinVillage recreational program.
KinVillage is comprised of 4 residential buildings and a community centre. All buildings are non-smoking with designated outdoor smoking areas, close walking distance to one another and are in close proximity to most amenities: A nearby bus stop, a grocery store, several banks, a mall and a medical building are a five to ten minute walk away. The adjacent Winskill Park offers seniors outdoor fitness equipment and an aquatic and fitness facility also, just minutes away. Many people walk to do grocery shopping or to their health appointments. Others have vehicles of their own for which onsite parking is available. Bus outings may also be available to provide an opportunity for residents to shop or to attend church.